The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Long Man of Wilmington Forum Start a topic | Search
The Long Man of Wilmington
Re: Long Man of Wilmington - URGENT HELP NEEDED
196 messages
Select a forum:
Cursuswalker wrote:
Quick headlines for you, before my proper write-up:

There was no archaeological supervision (The site manager is not an archaeologist). The programme makers stuck sticks onto the ground on the figure so that the participants would know where to lie.

These were only removed when a local Pagan (me) told the CEO of Sussex Archaeological Society, who told the site manager to tell the programme makers to remove them. One of the researchers admitted this was a mistake. But nothing would have been done if I had not spotted the sticks in a photographic close-up. By definition, the sticks caused damage to archaeology, as they disturbed soil that was previously undisturbed.

Sussex Archaeological Society, the owners of the site, have failed in their cutodianship utterly, for the fiirst time, having previously been utterly worthy of out trust. As of this moment, effectively, local Pagans are the custodians of the Long Man, as it is they who have the best interests of the site at heart.

This cannot continue to be the case, obviously.

On the upside I was very proud to identify myself as a Site Inspector for Heritage Action.

Well done, sir!! My hat off to you!

Reply | with quote
slumpystones
Posted by slumpystones
2nd July 2007ce
20:09

Messages in this topic: