The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: New Code
225 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Really? I would have thought its rather useful to compare the two situations.

I disagree. I think it's a very superficial analogy. I can't imagine treading mud into a stone circle doing the same damage as treading mud onto someone's carpet. Nor do you "own" an ancient site any more than the next person. Respect and courtesy? Absolutely. Same or similar thing to a friend's house? Not at all.

nigelswift wrote:
Are you saying that the courtesy and cultural conditioning that inhibits people from acting in a way that annoys their friends at houses is somehow not just as potent and just as important when it comes to their duty towards subsequent visitors (co-stakeholders) at ancient sites?

No. I'm saying they're two extremely different sets of values applied in extremely different situations - thus making the analogy a bad one. The issues of respect and courtesy are still important, but not well-served by drawing a parallel between ancient sites and urban semis.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
1st July 2007ce
11:44

In reply to:

Re: New Code (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: New Code (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: