The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:

So you demonstrate your ability at conflict resolution how??!!

I'm looking for a discussion... not an argument.

CianMcLiam wrote:
tooth fairy/spirits/ghoulies or whatever

Well there we go. You clearly have nothing but contempt for people who hold different spiritual views to your own. That's fine and it's your choice, but it's not the basis for a rational and reasonable position. And it's certainly a poor starting point for constructive dialogue. With that attitude, I imagine that the people to whom you refer will dismiss your views out of hand (showing you the same courtesy that you've shown them), fail to give a shit what you think about it, and continue to leave offerings as they see fit. Way to go.

CianMcLiam wrote:
Earlier you asked how we could possibly know that people are bothered, now you presume to know they aren't

Have you observed the actions of people at ancient sites? I've barely seen anyone bat an eyelid at the presence of offerings. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, the vast majority don't seem to care.

CianMcLiam wrote:
can we not agree that in the abscence of emperical evidence (but an acknowledgement that in society in general that littering is not tolerated and is in fact frowned on) that it's wise to err with caution and bring tat brought to a site home.

Well I certainly don't agree with your use of intentionally loaded language like littering. If someone who leaves a flower on a stone is littering, you may as well accuse a tree of littering for dropping its leaves to the ground! However.... I do entirely agree with you with regards to erring on the side of caution. I think you're seeing red and assuming that I'm arguing in support of the leaving of offerings. I'm not. I'm putting the alternate point of view, and suggesting that it would benefit you to understand it even if you don't agree with it, and argue with it from a position of respect rather than contempt.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
14:27

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: