The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
Hi George!

tiompan wrote:
Hello Paul , shame you couldn't make the RAM .

Yeah, I wish I'd have been there. I'm sure you all had a great day. I was wanting to have a good waffle with you about a petroglyphs, animism and landscape. It'll have to be next year - wherever it's gonna be!

tiompan wrote:
Your'e right about the fires at stone circles although I think there is a difference between locals who are maintaining a tradition and those that are likely to do so in the spirit of leaving offerings .In cases where items do get left in local tradition it is usually associated with a particular calendar date . Clootie wells atc.

I just thought that this issue needed to be brought forward though - as no one made any clear differentiation. And I know that some folk on TMA would shout loud against them if they came across such events if they weren't aware of them. How, for example, would anyoneknow that such things were traditional? Such events are kept quite private on the whole and well away from the public eye. A couple of old mates wrote a book covering some of this in their Twilight of the Celtic Gods about 20 years back, showing that 'old folk' (for want of a better term) visited secluded old places and did certain rites, or burned fires at certain times of the year. But as they're kept quiet, how would the new self-appointed guardians of heritage have a clue? Would they be able to differentiate between them? Highly unlikely. And so they'd mistakenly tar all with the same brush.

As Mustard is saying very eloquently elsewhere on this thread: there are more parameters to take into consideration over this issue. It aint as simple as some folk think.

All the best - Paul

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
27th June 2007ce
12:36

Messages in this topic: