The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:
I don't think asking people to leave places as they find it is being intolerant or extremist

I never said it was. I was very careful to say that it can create the impression of extremism and intolerance. Now you can choose to shrug your shoulders and ignore that, but if you want to get through to the people that you feel are creating the problem, then alienating them further is going to be entirely counter-productive surely?

CianMcLiam wrote:
It shouldn't have to be pointed out that you don't need arguments for leaving a place exactly as you found it, it doesn't have good points and bad points, it's just a basic principle of a being with conscience

I'm sorry, but that's predicated upon a number of assumptions that are entirely subjective and particular to your world-view. It's not an unreasonable position to hold, but it's very narrow-minded to assume that everyone must or should think the same way. If such was the case, we'd have no concrete markers at Avebury (which would be an improvement, I agree - but the example demonstrates that clearly such thinking is not an objective absolute shared by all).

CianMcLiam wrote:
...and the ability to reason that the next person would much rather find a site in the condition brought on by time, as built by whomever thousands of years ago and not lacking in any way for modern 'enhancements' or tokens.

That's a pretty big assumption. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of ill-informed visitors actually find the leaving of offerings "quaint".

I'm not in basic opposition to you on any of these points, but I do think some effort needs to be made to understand that not everyone approaches the subject with the same assumptions and values. If you want your case to prevail, then you need to show some respect for that fact, and accept that the case needs to be argued. The rationale of your position may be self-evident to you and those who share your values, but they are not self-evident to everyone. I'm not defending that reality - simply observing it.

CianMcLiam wrote:
If anything many people would find it a bizarre attempt at empathy with the completely unknown, even an alienating attempt to monopolise the right to enjoy and 'use' a shared heritage.

And by labelling those actions as such, does it not strike you that you're simply alienating people further and reducing your chances of convincing them with your argument? Progress in such areas is usually made by reaching out to people and attempting to understand their position - not by contemptuously dismissing them. Perhaps they share your integrity, but are not as well informed?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
27th June 2007ce
08:36

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (CianMcLiam)

1 reply:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (slumpystones)

Messages in this topic: