The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
CianMcLiam wrote:

No, it's not in the same league of course but it shows that even in high cost situations we're often willing to ignore consequences of actions in situations where everyone loses, even if both sides feel something 'should' be done it doesn't make either position right, and having a position doesn't make action valid in itself.

I agree. But I think that arguing that "nothing" should be left at ancient sites creates an impression of an extremist and intolerant approach (rightly or wrongly), which in turn alienates the very people that you need to reach out to in order to promote considerate and low-impact behaviour.

CianMcLiam wrote:
The problem is, as other have said, when one person leaves flowers others arrive and think that's the done thing and the way to show respect, proceeding to leave candles, coins, batteries, clip-on covers for mobile phones, ribbons in poxy colours, animal skulls, burnt wood and earth etc. etc.

But you can't hold one group of people accountable if their actions inadvertently encourage idiots. That's like blaming the Quakers for gay people getting beaten to death on the street - Quakers promote Christianity, Christianity breeds bigots, ergo Quakers should desist from promoting Christianity. Sorry, but while I understand and sympathise with your point, it's somewhat of a circular argument. Frankly, you could quite reasonably argue that TMA does more to perpetuate destructive behaviour just by making directions to site so widely and easily available. Would you argue that TMA should go off-line in case it encourages idiots to find and damage ancient sites?

It's not that I don't see where you're coming from. I think there's a case to be made for your point of view, but I think there's equally a case to be made for those who wish to leave non-destructive offerings. There are valid points on both sides of the discussion, and it's always productive to try and consider the grey areas of the debate without believing everything to be simple black and white. In my humble opinion, of course ;)

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
26th June 2007ce
22:46

In reply to:

Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use? (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: