The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The Ancient Stones of Wales: Chris Barber and...
461 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
moss wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
The Ancient Stones of Wales by Chris Barber and John Godfrey Williams.

"Erected by megalithic men for some long forgotten purpose, these ancient stones are riddles in the landscape that have yet to be solved. This book explores this intriguing subject in considerable detail, providing descriptions of all the recognized megalithic monuments in Wales and it is illustrated with a profusion of photographs."

ISBN 0-9510444-7-8.

(Worthy of a separate mention moss?).

Definitely worthy, although the gazetteer is a little bit iffy in places, as some stones appear more than once with slightly different grid refs/spellings. Very much worth buying though (I found a second hand copy in a very decent bookshop in Blaenavon a couple of years ago).

Warning: Book contains a photo of the author standing on top of Maen Llia, which may upset those of a nervous disposition.

It's like being called back from the dead, we've been to Yorkshire since ;)
But yes the wicked man is standing on Maen Lia. Notice it's a stone that likes to go down to the river Ned to drink water. I was fascinated by the four stones at Walton, Powys two pages on though... deep circular hollows on top of the largest stone.

Nowt wrong with Yorkshire, it's not quite the afterlife (that's Eastbourne I think). Four Stones is a lovely site Moss, I'd highly recommend a visit (very easy access next to the road). The hollows are probably erosion, but cupmarks are a feature in that area (e.g. Kinsham).

Self-correction - there are cupmarks on one of the Four Stones, but they're probably not the deep circular hollows mentioned, as they're quite small and shallow (Kammer's posted a helpful picture on here).

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
24th August 2012ce
22:46

Messages in this topic: