The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge-on-Silbury
61 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
I doubt the structure of the chalk blocks at the top of the mound would take the weight.

I think that's true. Plus, there is no evidence of holes. But its a fantasy I'm very reluctant to abandon as Stonehenge is currently ill-placed and out of scale, lost in the landscape, and Silbury is currently a very unsatisfying ungainly lump, screaming to be complete. Yet both would achieve aesthetic perfection if unified...

Silbury incomplete ? Hmmm, an interesting concept, faced with the sheer size of it, that you'd get all the way to the beginning of the hard bit and give up.

Or maybe it was a union issue ?

"Drag them things up there? You got to be jokin' mate - we're on time-an-'alf as it is, we'd want at least another bluestone chip each before we start, and then there's yer oxen - don't climb up 'ills that well, them oxen. Okay on a slope, but up that thing ? Now if you'd said all this at the beginning, we wouldn't have used chalk for a start, and we'd 'ave have made it 'alf as 'igh and twice as wide..."

Reply | with quote
slumpystones
Posted by slumpystones
3rd January 2007ce
23:04

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge-on-Silbury (nigelswift)

2 replies:

Re: Stonehenge-on-Silbury (nigelswift)
Re: Stonehenge-on-Silbury (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: