The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: Calling Mr Hamhead
15 messages
Select a forum:
Looks like a few ideas have already come flooding in....

Penwith is a must as has already been said..Merry Maidens and Lanyon Quoit are beside roads so easy to do..other sites require a bit of walking. Everyone has thier favourite...mine would be Carn Euny...settlement with fogou..and great views. You must drive the road from St Ives to St Just...fantastic landscape incl Bronze Age field patterns..then when you get to St Just carry on out to Ballowal Barrow for a view over the Atlantic. You could from there walk down to Cape Cornwall.....don't go to Lands End!

My main area is Bodmin Moor...Minions is a great place to start..the Hurlers, Cheesewring, Stowes Hill, Rillaton Barrow, Craddock Moor with its circle, stone row and embanked avenue, Long Tom,

So much to see..how much time have you got?

If you want me to meet up with you at Minions I may be able to..can't promiss sunshine though!

As for Truro..might not be the centre of the megalithic universe but it has a good shopping centre, nice museum and cathedral and some good pubs,,The Ale house is an old fave...really good Nepali and Italian restaurant (not together!).

Enjoy

Mr H

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
30th September 2006ce
12:39

In reply to:

Calling Mr Hamhead (jacksprat)

Messages in this topic: