The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Orkney Forum Start a topic | Search
Orkney
Re: Orkney - cycling - any advice ?
26 messages
Select a forum:
thanks. the gales were ferocious that day, which kept the birds close to the top of the cliffs. us a yard away and not one did budge. we spent two days in hermaness. two unforgettable ones at that. the first birdsightings were on mull head, orkney, though - even though puffinspotting involved waiting on our belly in sheep dung until 3 crawled out of a shallow crevice. it was easier to see the guillemots than on shetland, as they reside lower on the cliffs and those at hermaness are just so hight you never get a glimpse of these beasts.

stone-wise I thought stenness was most impressive, though the excavation-still-in-progress mysterious burial chamber of mine howe was also superb. hell, orkney is a megalith/graves/whatever paradise. I had a list of all the thusfar discovered sites, but since we were only there for two days and wanted birds as well, a stringent selection had to be made. I will go back though to get to every bloody single one of them. even though none beat callanish.

-arf

Reply | with quote
Bonzo the Cat
Posted by Bonzo the Cat
3rd May 2006ce
16:03

In reply to:

Re: Orkney - cycling - any advice ? (suave harv)

Messages in this topic: