The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Day in the Lakes
21 messages
Select a forum:
There is too much to see! I have decided on two trips rather than just one!

Having looked at the weather forecasts for this week it seemed that today was going to be the best day this week, so I headed off this morning and managed to see: Kemp Howe, Castlehow Scar, the circles on Iron Hill (was going to try for Oddendale but was so pathtically puffed out by the short walk to the Iron Hill cairns I decided to save my energy for later!) Mayburgh Henge (which I LOVED!) and King Arthur's Round Table, the Cop Stone and Moor Divock cairns (I had delusions of grandeur and tried to find the Cockpit, but my map reading skills are a little below par and suffice to say I will have to return another time, preferably with someone else so I don't get lost and end up wandering the moors for ever more!) Gamelands (though I couldn't get through the mud into the field, annoyingly) and finished the day back at Castlerigg, which is probably my favourite place on earth right now. I didn't manage sunset there, though, as it was about 5pm and I didn't think I'd manage to wait several hours for the sun to go down. Ah well, have to go back again!

Next week I am going back up to do the Druid's Circle, Giant's Grave and Black Combe, Swinside, and another look in at Blakeley Raise and Castlerigg (kind of fond of that place...!)

Once again, thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Reply | with quote
Posted by BeakerUK
10th April 2006ce
21:55

In reply to:

Re: Day in the Lakes (Chris Collyer)

Messages in this topic: