The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Day in the Lakes
21 messages
Select a forum:
I have been enjoying this site for some time now, and was hoping you might be able to offer some advice.

Next week (being a teacher and having a blissful two weeks away from the screaming insanity of the classroom coming up) I am going on a day trip on my own to the Lake District to visit some megalithic sites there.

I did this recently and managed to include a drive along Hardknott Pass (which I don't think I am brave enough to repeat, as I hadn't been prepared for quite how ludicrously steep it is!) Blakely Raise stone circle, Castlerigg, Little Meg, Glassonby and Long Meg, plus a glimpse of Gunnerkeld heading back south on the M6.

So what I wanted to ask is, what should I visit next week? Bearing in mind that 1. I am on my own and pathetically shy about asking for permission to visit sites on private land, 2. I am horrendously unfit and liable to get lost trailing for long distances over moors and hills and 3. Living near Manchester, the north Lakes is just a bit too far, Long Meg being about as far north as I can manage in one day.

Perhaps I should just give up now, but my last day in the Lakes was so utterly blissfully wonderful, I desperately want to repeat the experience, but if possible see something new.

Many thanks!
BeakerUK

Reply | with quote
Posted by BeakerUK
6th April 2006ce
18:28

Messages in this topic: