The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maeshowe Forum Start a topic | Search
Maeshowe
Re: Pretanike-Britain, Breton, Prythain or Picti?
85 messages
Select a forum:
"One argument is that there is a lot more Roman blood, especially in the 'English', than most of the English are aware of, and this is why that I am usually shocked by the antipathy towards Rome by their descendants!"

Yes - so am I, but its how I react too! Guess we still resent the idea of being conquered by an occupying force. Many of us feel the same way about the Normans - daft really. We also tend to think of the "Romans" as being Italians actually from Rome. Most of the occupying troops were not Italian and had never seen Rome in their lives. Rank and file soldiery were often auxiliaries - Gauls, Germans and all sorts with a smattering of Roman aristocrats in charge. Those that survived their military service, mostly settled here and married local women. Younger men sewed their wild oats where ever and left numerous sprogs before early death took them. We are of mixed blood and any attempts to claim or prove "racial purity" are doomed. Nothing new in immigration and a well stirred and varied gene pool is our greatest heritage.

Reply | with quote
PeterH
Posted by PeterH
3rd May 2005ce
08:23

Messages in this topic: