The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
West Yorkshire
Re: New Rock Art Discoveries, north of Ilkley
13 messages
Select a forum:
>I think the 'settlement' areas overall have to be put into the context of 'occasional settlement
>sites', as our ancestors would have upped-and-moved with the seasons.

Yes, I wonder if the Cow n' Calf would have been part of the 'moving upland' cermonies each year, with cattle purification etc.

>is simply the profusion of streams

The area around Middleton Moor is certainly wet... as I found when I trod in Listers Dub!!

I've heard tell that the water table on Ilkley Moor has dropped quite a lot due to Water Board shenannigans over the last 50 years or so. Apparently, Willy Hall's Spout was quite a bit wetter than it is today.

Also, Wharfedale valley bottom would have been wetter too with the remains of the post-glacial lake that once filled it. I think the marshes around Ilkley were only drained in Tudor times.

>I'd like to read Gavin Edwards' excavation report.

I'll try n' dig it out n' send it to you again. What's your latest email addy? Think I've got several recent ones for you.

I take it you've seen the wonderful rock at Dryas Dyke with the multiple circles? About 5 on one of them I think. Denton Moor seems quite sparse in RA terms, then it all starts again on Askwith Moor... maybe Denton Moor is a place to look for enclosures too?

Reply | with quote
Kozmik_Ken
Posted by Kozmik_Ken
15th April 2005ce
08:44

Messages in this topic: