The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
West Yorkshire
Re: New Rock Art Discoveries, north of Ilkley
13 messages
Select a forum:
I think the 'settlement' areas overall have to be put into the context of 'occasional settlement sites', as our ancestors would have upped-and-moved with the seasons. But the thing which makes me think the region north of Ilkley is more conducent to settlement/habitation than Ilkley Moor is simply the profusion of streams (hence fishing, greater wildlife/food, etc) from Middleton Moor to Askwith, which far exceeds that coming off Ilkley's southern moors. The ley of the land from Middleton to Askwith has other factors implying greater practical/domestic ingredients than the more ritualistic Ilkley Moor. So far, the distinct lack of any decent stone circles on the Middleton-to-Askwith region also raises questions. We'll have to have a bittova potter about sometime & see wot y' think.

I'd like to read Gavin Edwards' excavation report. Think you may have sent it when I was having email troubles - any chance you could send me it again? I think the whole region from Backstone to Woofa was more a 'Land of the Dead' (ancestor spirit region, etc) than that of the living - though the 'settlements' of Green Crag & Backstone are notably 'walled off' from the main cemetary sections. Even the Haystack Rock is sectioned off by walling, keeping it seemingly 'separate' from the land of the living.

< It all kinda makes me think that maybe the enclosures had more of a 'ritual' puropse than for occupation... >

Hmmmmm......

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
14th April 2005ce
10:41

Messages in this topic: