The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
West Yorkshire
Re: New Rock Art Discoveries, north of Ilkley
13 messages
Select a forum:
< Did you spot the carvings on Foldshaw Ridge? >

Yeah...Richard Stroud & I have been frobbling about and have checked just about everyone of those which have been catalogued (I think Richard's only got 1 or 2 to go). Many of 'em remind me of the ones around Baildon Hill.

One thing which has been bugging me though, has been the distinct lack of a real decent settlement in the area. We've got rock art and a few cairns all over the place, but as yet no decent neolithic village to account for it all. I wondered whether the 'enclosure' we found last week was gonna be what I've been looking for, but don't think it accounts for the excess of remains. There's the large settlement found by Cowling at Crow Well more than a mile to the east, but one of those 'gut feelings' tells me there's summat missing... there's summat else up here.

...And yeah, we'll have to meet up sometime...

Reply | with quote
Paulus
Posted by Paulus
13th April 2005ce
09:49

Messages in this topic: