The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arbor Low Forum Start a topic | Search
Arbor Low
Re: What Is It??
82 messages
Select a forum:
Shame! I've been a few times now and one of my best experiences at a site was at Arbor Low. Though tbh I had it to myself with bright sunshine :)

Might as well throw my hat into the ring.
In my mind there is no doubt that henges are multifunctional, that they were involved in trade and religion (meant in the very general sense). However there are real difference countrywide, in particular the huge wessex rings compared to the Peak district rings and those further north.

The ones down south seem to be a continuation of the causewayed enclosures, the society evolving to build the henges and also huge pallisade enclosures as near Avebury and Mount Pleasant distinct from the henges. Perhaps the structure of these super-henges was dictated by visitors from afar but I see them mostly as a local development.

As for Arbor Low... its on a trade route through the peaks that runs North to Cumbria, its far enough away from the other circles in its vicinity for visitors to meet locals there and not get to the other circles (Nine Stones Close or Stanton Moor for instance) and its very similar to The Bullring and more importantly King Arthurs Round Table. I'd personally peg this as a Cumbrian site, created to trade with the communities in the South Peaks.

Reply | with quote
juamei
Posted by juamei
22nd June 2004ce
09:30

In reply to:

Re: What Is It?? (AR)

Messages in this topic: