The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Thornborough Henges Forum Start a topic | Search
The Thornborough Henges
Re: Thornborough Quarry
36 messages
Select a forum:
The message seems to be - once planning permission is granted then all archaeology found on the site will be recorded in accordance with the councils required recording regime and then destroyed - regardless of it's importance.

This to me is not the spirit of PPG 16 and neither does it fit with the public's understanding of what should happen.

To me, any organisation that goes along with this without flagging it as a major issue has to be part of the problem.

Especially when it is the developers responsibility to perform pre-application archaeological investigations and it is this report that forms the main part of the councils view of the archaeological importance of the site.

Thus the planning committee were given a document saying "no archaeology, not even of local importance" on the site. Once that decision is made, the stuff coming out of the ground was easier ignored than "causing a fuss". I this what happens everywhere?

Thinking about it, I have suffered greatly since I got involved in this, I have lost sleep, had emotional difficulties, spent a great deal of time and money just trying to stop my heritage from being destroyed, been called a liar, the list goes on. Is there a legal angle here?

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
9th December 2003ce
17:27

In reply to:

Thornborough Quarry (BrigantesNation)

2 replies:

Re: Thornborough Quarry (nigelswift)
Re: Thornborough Quarry (BlueGloves)

Messages in this topic: