The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Thornborough Henges Forum Start a topic | Search
The Thornborough Henges
Thornborough Quarry
36 messages
Select a forum:
I think Nigel and myself obviously had two sleepless nights.

My problem is this:

Friends of Thornborough, Jan Harding and Time Fliyers have spent a lot of time raising the profile of the ritual landscape surrounding Thornborough Henges and the importance of the archaeology that is contained within it.

Friends of Thornborough has also highlighted that North Yorkshire County Councils planning rules are not being followed and neither are the governments planning guidelines. in so much as the presumption in favour of preservation in situ for archaeology of national importance is not being honoured.

Yet there is archaeology being uncovered at the current quarry site, and destroyed right now. There is no sign of English Heritage and there is not a word from EH with respect to the fact that this is going on. For example, two weeks ago a large rectangular ditched structure was uncovered, this was bulldozed immediately after recording. The same thing happened to a circular ditched structure.

Right now a square ditched structure - 5m X 5m has been uncovered. The interesting thing is there is no apparent entrace and very few finds - these could be ritual enclosures rather than later dwellings.

Now the point is - EH are quite happy to see these things destroyed without kicking up a fuss about them being involved.

Remember, the original planning application was granted on the grounds that no archaeology, not even of local importance was expected. Over 500 significant archaeological features have now been found on the site. Of those that were dateable, about 90% were Late Neolithic. Yet at no time have NYCC visited the site to determine the importance of the archaeology, and neither have EH.

The misinformation spread be NYCC has clearly nailed their colours to the mast but the question now is do EH sit on the same side of the fence as this? Please, everyone, write to EH and write to the press. EH have been aware that the entire area around Thornborough was up for quarrying since last November but they have said nothing about it. Instead, they reported in June this year that Thornborough had been saved! This was because several years ago the farmer agreed not to plant potatoes and happened four weeks after EH got a pasting from ocal people for suggesting that quarrying was no more destructive than ploughing.

In May this year letters started flooding into EH about the issues at Thornborough. I myself have asked about how PPG16 has been implimented, they responded with platitudes with the result that nothing was done. All this time, archaeology, potentially of national importance has been destryed by Tarmac on the quarry. Some of this destruction was carried out in very dubious circumstances. Last month Tarmac sponsored the British Archaeology Awards, yet still nothing has been said by EH or mouch of the archaeology community.

This is a disgrace and someone is going to have to do something about it. EH have had a year and not done anything. NYCC allowed it to happen in the first place. The system is not working.

Reply | with quote
Posted by BrigantesNation
8th December 2003ce
11:27

Messages in this topic: