The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Nimbys and names
183 messages
Select a forum:
I don't want to upset anyone and I don't want to get into the name game again because I don't think that after 200 posts we have got anywhere.

Just want to get something off my chest:

1 Nimbys are the people who care most about what is going on in their own backyard. When its on your doorstep, its not hard to get passionate and passion counts when the going gets tough and you'd rather be doing something else than writing letters, making endless phone calls and so on.

2 TMA has a network of people who passionately care about the ancient places of Britain and Ireland. Some of those places are going to be under threat sooner or later. Collectively, we are Nimbys for the whole of Britain and Ireland. We care - we are passionate - Brigantes has shown us what can be acheived.

3 Someone suggested that we form an action group to protect the sites that we care about. I took that proposal to be a serious one. Unfortunately we couldn't come up with an agreed name that encapsulated our aims. So put that on hold for a while. Do we still want to organise ourselves to better protect ancient sites or not?

Suggestion:
Let every member of TMA who is seriously interested say so. This will be a commitment to do some WORK. I further suggest that each member should have a patch or local "Back Yard". Each member keeps a watching brief on their backyard, monitors development, planning applications and then yells loudly for help from the rest of us when a threat shows its ugly face.

In the meantime anyone who so wishes can formulate names, straplines and terms of reference.
Whew - I feel better now.

This topic is locked
Earthstepper
Posted by Earthstepper
12th November 2003ce
20:18

2 replies:

Re: Nimbys and names (BrigantesNation)
Perhaps it's just me...? (Moth)

Messages in this topic: