The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Tombo's weblogs...
173 messages
Select a forum:
To him, the stones were just obstacles in the way of good ploughland. I wouldn't want to presume to know his views on art, but would guess that you are correct. The scientific reality of a painting is daubs of pigment on paper or camvas etc. Perhaps the design follows certain principles of perspective. It is the understanding that flows from artist to viewer via the medium that makes it work. This has to be learnt and is cultural (I don't mean Cultural in the snobby way) So in a way I see megaliths as works of art rather than religious buildings or ancient engineering. Personally I have little curiosity about their original ritual use and none about how they were built or how the stones were moved and erected. That doesn't mean that I knock those that do. I only have a quarrel with the new agers when they damage the stones with candles, graffiti or rubbish. I only have a quarrel with the archaeologists when they destroy what they study in order to see how it works.

Reply | with quote
Earthstepper
Posted by Earthstepper
23rd September 2003ce
10:43

In reply to:

Re: Tombo's weblogs... (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: