The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Why Yorkshire?
93 messages
Select a forum:
On a kind of 'practical' note, why Buttercrambe & Darley Dale? (I was near the latter today... could've said 'Hi!' for you!)

On less 'practical' matters, I don't think 'hoping to find something' in itself CAN be too idealistic. Surely any kind of hope is idealistic to some extent.

If you were EXPECTING your world to move on its axis because of an experience at a site over here, then you might end up disappointed. (Not to say it couldn't happen, because it could.)

I'd be astonished if you didn't find SOMETHING to connect to at SOME sites - though it might not be what you're looking for or expecting.

One thing's as damn sure as mustard - if you don't come, you won't find it!!!! I sometimes do (in a small way) and I'm not even all that interested in LOOKING for that 'spiritual' (that word again) side of things!!

'Connecting' to things from where you are is all well and good, and there's nothing wrong with doing this, but aren't you always connecting on your own terms or someone else's terms (writers etc) until you actually visit a place?

Only by going to the place can you see it on IT'S terms. In my experience, even if the site is very ruined you still gain everything by seeing the actual place it is in and adding that to anything you've read, seen or heard.

I may be 'off-base' (hmmm 'Yank' phrase! LOL) but, for example, I can read loads about a site from an archeological, a descriptive and a 'what it was for' point of view, yet I still find something when I go to most sites that I wouldn't otherwise have 'got'.

Now, that can sometimes be a 'good' thing - today seeing Doll Tor and 9 Stones Close Stone Circles for the first time both gave me something good that I've not had from reading and photos (especially 9 Stones Close, to my surprise...).

Or it can be a 'bad' thing - you can get to a site and find it doesn't live up to your 'expectations' or your perceived 'understanding' of the site. Or that it doesn't 'give' you what you expect. For example I managed to be a bit 'disappointed' in Callanish at first (I'll get excommunicated for saying that!!).

But it was just that I'd seen so many pictures, read so much about the theories and the place, and read about people's experiences and feelings at the place, that I thought I knew what I'd feel. It wasn't until I visited it for about the 3rd time while we were on the island that I found THE Callanish! Not the one I'd read about or the one I expected!

Of course, whether the relationship between expectation and experience is 'good' or 'bad', you still gain something. And there's always some element (big or small) that you wouldn't have got if you hadn't BEEN there.

Hope that all makes some kind of sense.

Finally, British people really do poke fun at just about everything! It's not a myth or an excuse! Most people with an ounce of intelligence could understand on some level the need that people like yourself have for a 'pilgrimage' to discover something of a 'past' they have never actually seen.

It's just that most people don't bother thinking about it and poke fun! And others (like people here) understand and poke fun anyway!!!!!!!!

Anyway, you'd better say you're coming before Fourwinds gets on here. From him you'll just get:

'Stop waffling and making excuses and get on the fecking plane!'

Or words to that effect....

Hope you had a good time with your friends!

love

Moth

PS If fear of Fourwinds is putting you off coming, we'll protect you!

Reply | with quote
Moth
Posted by Moth
13th July 2003ce
21:20

In reply to:

Re: Why Yorkshire? (Shestu)

Messages in this topic: