The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   London Forum Start a topic | Search
London
Greenwich Park & saxon burials in general
6 messages
Select a forum:
Does anyone have any info about either

(a) The burial mounds in Greenwich Park, London (marked on Explorer Explorer map as 'Tumuli' at TQ388772)? I visited last week and it is quite a stunning site on top of the hill, with a substantial scattering of small-ish round barrows (some very obvious, some merely remaining as tiny humps and grass marks). The park info board says it is a saxon burial ground. The web has proved relatively fruitless. A few references but no actual evidence as to why they are believed to be saxon rather than anything else. A timeline on a website mentions: 49 - 350 Roman Settlement in Greenwich Park / 550 - 750 Saxon Settlement in Greenwich Park, and that the name Greenwich is of Anglo-Saxon origin.

(b) Saxon burials in general? The more info I found on the internet the more likely it seems that the Greenwich Park cemetery could be saxon in form (i.e. burial in small round barrows seems to be common). If this is saxon then does it mean we have to be very careful when finding a barrow cemetery and thinking it is probably Bronze Age??

Reply | with quote
pure joy
Posted by pure joy
26th May 2003ce
12:48

Messages in this topic: