The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Arbor Low Forum Start a topic | Search
Arbor Low
Re: Recumbent or just fallen over?
32 messages
Select a forum:
It's broken >teeth< actually - but how did you hear ? The result of making pots/building stonework on a cra diet for years and years and then crashing the Heavy-tracked Vehicle last summer into a trailer full of fenceposts. Fru T Bunn.

In sculpture those metal pins are usually called 'armatures'. It's odd visiting different sites and seeing the different ways they were disposed of. There are plenty with stones, that have been simply hollowed under and pushed down, to keep me going for a few years yet. There's a couple of rows in Smithills, Bolton, that have just washed over with peat formation - they're curiosities. And new points for Professor Burl's distribution map.

I've a stone circle and a stone row that I've not notified County Hall about yet and I'll certainly be taking a closer look at these over the summertime. (I may be able to bluff them by flourishing images of that Rock Art near Belsay.) The row is of stones the size of kerb stones and should have a tumulus at one end or the other. It's in a very isolated field owned by a friend - fallen not pushed.

Nobody freaks out when I repair Viking stuff - and that's up to eleven hundred years old. A repair to a Saxon parish boundary wall - nobody knows or says anything other than 'well done' ! I'm going to try and distract modern antiquarians from my impending fieldwork by reviving the WHAT IS IT in Northumberland competition. This summer's prize ? Two Badly Drawn Boy albums (He's from Breightmet really).

~

Reply | with quote
BlueGloves
Posted by BlueGloves
1st April 2003ce
18:38

Messages in this topic: