The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury Webcam back online
79 messages
Select a forum:
""It was Stukely who, as you know, first associated Stonehenge with the Type (1) Druids above.
Type (2) Druids now, mostly, know this to be untrue,"

Why?"

Because he mistakenly associated all pre-roman history with the Iron Age Celts. You can't blame him particulalrly, since he was wotking off best information available at the time.

However, this does not preclude post Bronze-Age use of Stonehenge by Iron Age Celts. It's just that there is little evidence for it (One intriguing BCE Roman reference to a Temple of Apollo in Britain, which has also been interpteted as referring to Callanish)

You could also intuit that it MUST have been used by teh Iron Age Celts. I find this easy to believe myself. But there is no strong EVIDENCE for this.

You could also define the Druids as representative of all previous prehistoric priesthoods (Whether "proto-celtic" or not). Again this is attractive, but smacks of moving goalposts a little.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a Huttonite with this kind of thing (As in Ronald Hutton)

Reply | with quote
Cursuswalker
Posted by Cursuswalker
15th April 2003ce
20:00

1 reply:

trouble in babylon ... (BlueGloves)

Messages in this topic: