The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Co-operation?
209 messages
Select a forum:
Appologies for posting again when I promised that I wouldn't but the conversation seems to be getting more positive so...

OK, we've established that geocachers aren't going to deliberately place any caches that might cause material harm to any monuments. But it also seems a fair assumption that they will continue to leave plastic boxes in nooks and crannies all over the country. The rights and wrongs have been done to death and we all know the other side of the argument, even if we'll never agree.

What worries me is that so many sites are not obviously important to the untrained eye, and might inadvertantly become the home to a geocache which should not be there. For example, I look at http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]hp?image_id=7643&view=mini and see a great location for a cache between the two rocks. Opinions here may differ, ummm, slightly... :-)

I have a database of all 1000 odd caches in the UK, and I've just downloaded the TMA database of 2966 site locations. Would there be any merit in comparing the two, to determine whether any caches are placed unfortunately close to ancient sites? (I'd probably need some input from you guys). It could also be a useful tool for geocaching moderators when deciding whether to approve new caches...

Reply | with quote
Posted by Teasel
23rd January 2003ce
15:18

In reply to:

GeoCaching (NightCacherPid)

4 replies:

Re: Co-operation? (Squid Tempest)
Re: Co-operation? (moggymiaow)
Re: Co-operation? (FourWinds)
Re: Co-operation? (Morseman)

Messages in this topic: