The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: GeoCaching
209 messages
Select a forum:
Yeah, there is more then one geocaching related site. Most but geocaching.com are nothing more then overgrown homepages. A quick look at navicache shows very few caches listed, and only a few posts a month to the forums.
Yes, geocaching.com sells stuff. Yes they offer premium features for a fee. I'm sure some people understand the costs of running a popular website with lots of maps and photos and stuff (like TMA!). Geocaching.com lists about 40,000 active caches. Thats 40,000 webpages of pictures and maps and data. That doesn't count archived caches that are no longer in place, but the pages and photes are still viewable. The forums there get well over 1 million hits a month, and the website many times that. Thats alot of bandwidth, and it costs alot of money. Nobody is getting rich over there.
There are probably about 250,000 people actively playing this "game". It's not small. It's been going on for years. The fact that you haven't heard of it, or tripped over a geocache is because they are not laying out in the open on top of a monument. They are not visual litter. They are not placed in areas that might damage the landscape. MANY are placed with the land manager's permission, and blessings.
Geocaching isn't about finding tupperware under a bush. It's about the adventure. The journey. Its the same thing you do, only we don't know where we are going until we get there. All we know is that the cache hider is going to lead us to someplace interesting. In the 18 months I've been doing this, I've seen more scenic views, more historical locations, more interesting little places that i didnt know about, then most people see in a lifetime. I pick up more garbage some weekends then my family generates in a week.
Sure, anytime you get 1/4 million people together, you're going to find a few bad apples, but you find that anywhere. We don't want them anymore then you do. I think the fact that you haven't heard bad things in the press about us (hell, the BBC has a geocache!) is we make sure not to place caches where they could cause problems.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Reluctant Defender
23rd January 2003ce
11:11

In reply to:

Re: GeoCaching (RiotGibbon)

2 replies:

coughs nervously ... (FourWinds)
Re: GeoCaching (Cache Man)

Messages in this topic: