The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: GeoCaching
209 messages
Select a forum:
Hi All
I have just spent the last half hour reading a lot of posts from angry people about "littering at sacred sites" What is litter? Something that was not put there by nature? In that case all these standing stones are un-natural non biodegradeable litter. Stupid idea eh! Of course standing stones are not litter but somebody or bodies put them where they are many years ago. There are many theorys as to why and what some of these places mean. Maybe it was an ancient game designed to get people to discover magical places.
What is a geocache? It is something placed by a man(or woman) at a special place to let others find. Maybe they will only find a virtual location or a well hidden tupperware box either way they will not dismantle cairns or brochs on the hunt and they will probally pick up carelessly discarded litter on the way. I have found a few caches and I usually take home a few crisp packets and beer cans that i find lying around.
Now to me litter is something dicarded carelessly with no thought to its long lasting effects. I have seen dead birds on beaches strangled by plastic, animals cut by broken glass ,oil slicks, hill fires caused by careless cigarette butts etc etc. I have never seen anyone or thing harmed by a geocache, They dont cause pollution or kill animals they are not an eysore, they are very seldom found by non cachers. So what is the problem? Do we have to wait until a cache has been hidden for 5000 years for it to of any interest.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Tufty
22nd January 2003ce
21:25

In reply to:

Re: GeoCaching (FourWinds)

1 reply:

Re: GeoCaching (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: