The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: GeoCaching
209 messages
Select a forum:
I can relate in part to the attraction of Geocaching. I get off on the same thing regularly, recently aided by my bright yellow GPS.

I find a grid reference from an obscure Web site, and stagger off into the countryside, wife and kids in tow. We whoop it up a bit, and everyone gets excited at the prospect of finding this thing that's really well hidden and off the beaten track. When we find it it's dead exciting, and (I confess that) I mentally tick it of my list of the places I <I>need</I> to visit.

But...

I'm looking for minor Bronze Age megalithic monuments. When I get there I take photographs and I take note of the site. When I'm done and I leave there's NOTHING to show that I was ever there. That's the really important difference, the one that everyone is trying to convey to you. We have a lot in common, but when it comes to this point, all that means sod all. Whether it's a candle, a tin can or Geocache, as far as I'm concerned it's littering.

Why not try our 'sport'. It's bloody excellent, and it doesn't encroach on anyone else's enjoyment of the countryside.

Kammer x

PS. I have a gold meddle for finding small standing stones in tall grass.

Reply | with quote
Kammer
Posted by Kammer
22nd January 2003ce
16:08

In reply to:

GeoCaching (NightCacherPid)

2 replies:

Re: GeoCaching (Squid Tempest)
Re: GeoCaching (Teasel)

Messages in this topic: