The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Manton Down Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Manton Down
Re: Manton Circle
9 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Just seen a new (to me, anyway) feature shown on the OS Explorer - Manton Circle, in antiquity script at SU15877144. No idea what this is, it's not on my old falling to pieces paper OS Explorer. Nothing on Heritage Gateway either.

Anyone know anything about it?

Hi TSC, today I met my map-reading, walking-friend in Marlborough - probably not the best day as temperature 28 degrees. The map my friend was using dated back to 2008 and definitely didn't have a stone circle on it. We went from Fyfield car park along the track which is shown as part of the White Horse Trail (views to Devil's Den). Firstly we tried to find the ruined long barrow mentioned by Bladup a decade or so ago. His OS co-ordinate took us alongside a Gallop where we found two fairly large stones, one upright and one flat. About 100 metres away at the entrance to reservoir we found two more massive stones - they all looked as though they belonged together but had been separated. On the other hand, Fyfield Down was with its sarsen drifts of massive stones was very nearby. It was at this point we followed the Here Path (aka Green St) towards the Warren near Rockley. Your map co-ordinate was spot on - there is indeed an attractive stone circle there. It was very much overgrown with grass and thistles but looked as though it has been there for some time. We walked across a field to get to it, if you didn't know it was there it would be very easy to miss.

A very enjoyable stoney walk indeed.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
7th September 2021ce
18:21

In reply to:

Manton Circle (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: