The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision
37 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
I'd make three simple points:

1. This is not just a case of well-informed experts versus shouty, headline-seeking campaigners. UNESCO, numerous archaeologists, and the Government's own planning executive are entirely against the short tunnel but have been ignored. [See for instance this withering statement by Rescue: https://rescue-archaeology.org[...]c668munXlCallO44vf8-I3LaPITGqI

2. This is a road project, not a conservation/improvement one. It is being painted as the latter by NT, EH, and HE only because the Government asked them to.

3. This could all be solved at a stroke by spending more money on a longer tunnel.

I definitely agree with points 1 and 2 - especially point 2 but haven't yet worked out quite why they are being so compliant. I understand English Heritage is funded by Government grants. The National Trust state the following "We are a charity, independent of government. ... We do however make applications every year to a range of competitive grant schemes, primarily to support our project work (through central and local government, European government, and through sources such as Lottery funds)."

One of the things that has been bothering me about all this is the knowledge there are still buried stones out at Avebury and along the Beckhampton Avenue which are being left undisturbed for posterity in the hope of future developments in carbon dating and excavation methods. An ethical decision I don't dispute. Why then does Stonehenge not get the same rationale applied.

As for point 3 - I thought I disagreed with this on the grounds of the massive cost involved plus the inevitable destruction of the locale but since having those thoughts have now heard on the news that this Government wants to considerably increase spending on Defence plus launch a rocket in the near future. What is left to say.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
19th November 2020ce
20:15

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: