The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Favourite site visited 2019
12 messages
Select a forum:
Finally made it to N.Ireland earlier in the year primarily to see the Giant's Causeway. County Antrim was a journey of discovery including visiting Rathlin Island. Later in the year (October) a few days in Pembrokeshire blew me away ... literally. Pentre Ifan - magnificent.

However, the site which gave me an almost mystical experience has to be Cairn Holy, although in saying this I know it is about perception on the day. After a long, grueling journey on the M6, we visited by pure chance the evening we journeyed to Stranraer before catching the ferry to N.I. the next day. I spotted a brown heritage sign and my companion obligingly turned the car round and went back. As we walked uphill along on a woodland track, not knowing what to expect the clouds disappeared and everything became infused with golden, evening sunlight. The site itself was amazing - for anyone who hasn't found it yet, do try.
https://www.historicenvironmen[...]hambered-cairns/getting-there/

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
30th December 2019ce
21:08

In reply to:

Favourite site visited 2019 (thelonious)

1 reply:

Re: Favourite site visited 2019 (thelonious)

Messages in this topic: