The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Old Harlow Forum Start a topic | Search
Old Harlow
Re: Marker stone(s) near Old Harlow round barrow
5 messages
Select a forum:
Thanks very much for that. The locations would actually work quite well for the Moot/ barrow as they are on well-established paths that lead to it, even if they aren't as close as the stone in the pub. Presumably could were glacial erratics which folk would have used as markers. Not having many, we've always tended to get quite excited about any chunk of rock in Essex. :)

I had a look for the first one near the brook/ bridge, but couldn't see anything that looked like the stone. It's all been landscaped though, as part of a newish housing development called New Hall. They have made a huge round ziggurat type of landscape feature a couple of hundred yards from the spot where the stone was, though, which the dog enjoyed running up and down.

Anyhoo, I'll check out the other spot and see what is left there. I do suspect these could well be some the 'missing' stones though.

Reply | with quote
Orifrog
Posted by Orifrog
13th May 2016ce
23:35

Messages in this topic: