The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stripple Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Stripple Stones
Re: Cornish Collection
11 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Quietly but hopefully officially. I know that three stones were reerected a couple of years back, but now another four are up.

I was particularly surprised because Burl comments that the post-holes of the fallen stones were very shallow, so to put these back up must have involved new holes and not necessarily replicating the original construction. Still, the previous restoration was overseen by the County archaeologist so I assume the new four were too. It's an odd site, the stones are very mismatched in size, with no grading. It lacks the elegance of Trippet Stones or Leaze.

It's a lovely setting though. I agree with you about King Arthur's Hall, it's very special.

Hi Alken
There is always something happening on the moor and to the best of my knowledge - officially. Mine is for sure.
James Gossip (CAU) was the senior archaeologist on site at the Stripples and does everything correctly which includes the re-erection of the fallen ring stones. Although out on loan at the moment, if you would like to see my copy of the official completed report on the work carried out on the Stripples and surrounding area, just ask. Just a warning though, it's rather more than bedtime reading as it is hugely comprehensive :-).

Regarding the mismatched stones, don't forget that the Stripples are Late Neolithic, not BA like the Trippets and Leaze. They are only a step up from the three Mid-Neolithic circles up the north-west - Stannon/Fernacre/Louden which, in comparison, seem to have been built with whatever stones they could get their hands on (mainly small) and possibly by the same builders.

I hope to have some important news re King Arthur's Hall in the very near future - and more!

Regards
Roy

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
23rd June 2019ce
09:41

In reply to:

Re: Cornish Collection (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Cornish Collection (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: