The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge Q and R stones sunrise orientation
62 messages
Select a forum:
Dave1982 wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Dave1982 wrote:
Well, perhaps not excavation, but non-intrusive scans would be interesting. I wonder how much that would cost? Mmmmm.

Any info on companies that do archaeological scans?

Permission is a bigger problem than dosh .

Because of the problems associated with later activities at the Q holes ,from the 2008 Darvill and Wainwright dig , which led to the Darvill dismissal of much hope , who is even likely to suggest it ?

Hi tiompan

Permission would be very difficult, Stonehenge is a major very valuable tourist facility and national asset. English Heritage are understandably strict about anything that may affect it’s commercial value.

Pity, but that must be taken into consideration. If a private individual (me) wanted to pay to have certain structures checked then I expect that English Heritage marketing would want complete control over the results and it’s publishing.

A project for the future though.

Dave

EH are a pain in many ways but their restrictions on excavation I fully endorse .
Under the turf the site is a mess and has been battered even within the last century .
It's very difficult to get permission , money or copyright of the findings is not the problem . National Geographic could easily come up with the dosh if necessary ,and private individuals still right about the monument and their findings e.g. MPP ,but they are quite rioghtly considering future generations .
I'd like to know if the Qand R holes exist or existed at the south west .If there were positive results from a scan the next step would be excavation to confirm expectations and all excavation is destructive ,so am happy to remain in ignorance and leave it to even more sophisticated technologies in the future .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th November 2014ce
12:28

Messages in this topic: