The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Adam Thorpe's Silbury Hill
9 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Roy, It is what I would call a 'personal reflection' book, judging from the first two readings, here is a taste of The Guardian review....

"And then there is On Silbury Hill's earnest hippy sensibility. "I have always been susceptible to the tofu-knitting, yoghurt-weaving world," writes Thorpe, and so it proves. It's impossible to take seriously a narrative that includes both a teenage fantasy in which he imagined he was a Neolithic man returning from a hunting trip in the forest ("my woman running out to greet me with her lovely ripe smell of unwashed flesh") and an irony-free description of his adventures in hypnosis"

The reviewer is slightly damning in her summing up, if you have ever read Macfarlane, then this new 'landscape' book follows in the same drift..
I like them as a matter of fact, and "landscapism" is just a new genre..

http://www.theguardian.com/boo[...]ilbury-hill-adam-thorpe-review

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
19th August 2014ce
10:18

In reply to:

Re: Adam Thorpe's Silbury Hill (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Adam Thorpe's Silbury Hill (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: