The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stonehenge - again!
49 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
We picked this up on the Journal, Carl. You done good to get such a definitive, clear answer from them. And it's well timed, as more damage has just been revealed.

I read your Journal post on the Heritage Action blog this morning. I have to say I found what was written well balanced and sensible.
http://heritageaction.wordpres[...]h-heritage-make-it-very-clear/
I had cause to travel past the Stonehenge Visitors Centre earlier in the summer while visiting Salisbury Hospital to support a friend. The vast number of coaches, cars and other vehicles shimmering in the sunshine was dis-spiriting to see. English Heritage's concept of 'free and open access' is cynical in the extreme. Stonehenge is being used to generate income ... and judging by the number of visitors on a daily basis that must be a very substantial amount. I do understand that certain groups of people see Stonehenge as their 'temple' and treat it with according reverence - otherwise I can't comprehend why anyone would want to be there with all the restrictions in place. I found it quite shocking to learn about the type of damage that was done at the last Solstice - way and beyond 'touching'. Defacing and damaging the stones should be (and I believe is) illegal but I haven't heard of any prosecutions taking place.

Quote from Heritage Journal:
"Incidentally, this year's event was a right old shambles - see the latest Round Table debrief - including 3 lots of damage:

Curator of stones reported that someone has used a resin to draw a couple of numbers on the stones which is proving very difficult to remove. We need to focus on people doing this. Also in the last hour or so,chalk drawings were made on the stones. Lots of candle-wax, but even more worrying that people were sticking chewing gum on the stones. Also excrement and effluence in the stones area."

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
12th August 2014ce
15:06

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge - again! (nigelswift)

3 replies:

Re: Stonehenge - again! (nigelswift)
Re: Stonehenge - again! (Sanctuary)
Re: Stonehenge - again! (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: