The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Boscawen-Un Forum Start a topic | Search
Boscawen-Un
Re: axe carvings
44 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
You're right that you shouldn't take everything you read at face value though, no matter who wrote it. It's only ever going to be that individual's interpretation of what they see.

The plan in Craig Weatherhill's excellent Belerion shows that the quartz stone and centre stone don't line up particularly with the slabs on the other side of the circle. The "centre" stone is considerably off-centre though.

Let's be fair to Burl though. Without him, much of the trail-blazing we - and Julian Cope - follow would never have happened. No-one (even Thom) has done more to visit and record the majority of stone circles on these islands. We're all following in his footsteps - and he did it all pre-internet. No Google earth, no websites with handy lists to visit for him. Some achievement!

Anyhow, being somewhat pedantic(!) he doesn't really state that Duloe is on Bodmin Moor. In the little book he says it's 4 miles S of Liskeard, Bodmin Moor isn't even mentioned. In the big book he covers it in the Bodmin Moor section, but this is really the only convenient grouping to put it in, unless it had it's own section. Duloe is in the same (then) district as the Bodmin Moor circles, and apart from those, there are no other circles near it.

Without reading it again for myself Alken, because Duloe circle is all quartz, he wanted to include it because it is special, but to me it sets it completely apart from the type of circle on the moor and shouldn't be associated with them IMO. I've not done much research around the Duloe/Liskeard/Looe area I must admit as I am spoilt for choice on the moor, but I suspect that in keeping with other stone circles, although there may not be much to say about them as an individual monument, they nearly always have had a lot going on around them which is no longer visible or been destroyed. Because the Duloe area is now quite residential, what was possibly there has now gone. It's a shame really as the answer as to what stone circles were really meant for may well be lost once all the 'other bits' have gone.

But yes, of course you are right about Burl and we do have a lot to be thankful to him for, so I take back my previous comment. Is he still around do you know?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
7th September 2014ce
19:14

In reply to:

Re: axe carvings (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: axe carvings (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: