The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cerne Abbas Giant Forum Start a topic | Search
Cerne Abbas Giant
Re: Another stunt allowed by the NT.
28 messages
Select a forum:
harestonesdown wrote:
moss wrote:
... the word that kept coming to mind was disrespect for an ancient monument, even though the cause may be good the action was cheap and of course will lead to much more being done in similar vein in the future - no way.

I agree, the "medium" is wholly inappropriate.
Whilst it may be for a good cause how many people will it reach ? And how many will it upset ?
If they really want to get the message across then blaze it across Buckingham palace where there will be thousands of visitors per day, but no, that would be tacky wouldn't it.

Or Nelson's Column perhaps? A giant phallus in the centre of London would certainly grab people's attention and isn't "sacred" to anyone either.

I take the point made elsewhere in the thread that no (physical) damage is likely, which probably is sufficient on its own to distinguish this from anything relating to the climbing of a certain Wiltshire mound, regardless of the beliefs/politics/etc associated with that.

Having said that, I agree with you both, the issue is one of how ancient sites are perceived and if the perception is that it's okay to exploit them for advertising (no matter what the cause), it's likely to be the thin end of a nasty wedge.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
3rd November 2013ce
14:24

In reply to:

Re: Another stunt allowed by the NT. (harestonesdown)

Messages in this topic: