The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: A303 to go into a tunnel eventually?
88 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
I think Stonehenge has had enough money thrown at it and would rather like to see it spent on maintaining and researching many of our other ancient sites which year by year are slowly returning to nature because many are out of the public gaze.

It's an immense amount of money, and for little gain. In an ideal world, I'd like to see the 303 buried. But in a world where we're forced to choose between different projects, it's hard to see it as being the most sensible use of cash. I can think of ten sights that could benefit hugely from a fraction of that spend off the top of my head. And what would be gained at Stonehenge for the average visitors? In normal hours, the place is swarming with tourists. Even without the 303, it would hardly be a "natural environment", and I can't imagine feeling particularly connected to the place whilst surrounded by a throng of visitors.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
30th September 2013ce
10:11

Messages in this topic: