The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge was built on solstice axis, dig confirm
56 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
jonmor wrote:
tiompan wrote:

It wouldn't take much to confirm it as the gap is only about 20 m .

Is that all George? I'm surprised that MPP hasn't made this a priority.

I doubt he has any say in the matter . He would need permission from EH and that could be very slow in coming .

Yes very slow!

Read the last para ,it might provide an indication of just how slow .
http://www.english-heritage.or[...]/summer-discoveries-stonehenge

That article tells you rather how EH think it is, rather than MPP would like it to be doesn't it. That's how I read it anyway. There seems to be parch marks all over the place as well!

It also explains why his priorities are even less likely to make an impact on any decision by EH to allow him to dig and why they will not be in a rush to accede to them .

There are likely to be parch marks in other areas , the sub surface is like a swiss cheese , but it's the ones that fit in with missing S's 17-20 that matter .

It opens up various questions doesn't it. If the stones were once there, why were they removed and of course if they were, where are they now? If they were never there, then why was it never finished? I suppose in the fullness of time the parch marks will be excavated, but I still find it hard to believe that someone in the distant past has not already dug there to see if there were stone holes leaving behind what is being seen now.

I was referring to the stripes and responding to "Is that all George? I'm surprised that MPP hasn't made this a priority."
The parch marks have nothing to do with MPP ,Tim discovered them and EH may well investigate them much sooner than listen to requests from MPP for another "couple of square metres " .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th September 2013ce
19:34

Messages in this topic: