The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge was built on solstice axis, dig confirm
56 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

The excavations have also uncovered three holes where missing stones would have stood on the outer sarsen circle, evidence, it is believed, that the circle was indeed once complete.

I wonder if in the past someone official or otherwise dug in these three places looking for evidence of the 'missing' stones that would have made up the circle, then just back-filled them afterwards and that's what they've 'discovered'? Seems likely that someone would have checked this out donkeys years ago I would have thought but it never got recorded. Just a thought.

The parch marks are in the area that hasn't been excavated (20th C ) but iirc has been geofizzed with negative results .
The negative marks suggest that there is something stopping access of nutrients and moisture for the grass which does not apply to surrounding grass .It could be closely packed chalk ,stones ,a stone etc btw , I'm not necessarily suggesting a sarsen stump .

That's why I mentioned the backfilling George. From waaay back the question has been asked as to whether the outer circle was ever completed or not. I would have thought that 'somebody' in the distant past has dug pits out in the position where the stones are likely to have been. If they did then you know what it's like when you backfill, it doesn't all go back in unless you compress it down. Compressed chalk? If this was done it was more likely to have been done before anyone really cared what the henge was all about so not recorded.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
9th September 2013ce
12:52

Messages in this topic: