The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: And the knock on effect is ....
79 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
tjj wrote:

Sounds like NIMBY bollocks to me. The only difference for traffic is that it now needs to turn right at Airman's Corner instead of carrying straight on.

That’s what I thought. There’s no pleasing some people - they protest when new roads are built and they protest when old ones are close ;-)

Looks like the widening of the A303 (where it passes Stonehenge) is now back on the cards though so there are three possibilities (excluding a flyover fourth :-)

1) A dual carriageway above ground (no thanks, that’s going to increase the speed of vehicles and the noise generated by those vehicles as they whiz past the monument).
2) A dual carriageway tunnel.
3) A dual carriageway bypass.

I don’t know how feasible the latter is but it might be the only viable solution in the end (but wait for the howls of protest along the lines of, “It’ll destroy the environment.” and, It’ll wreck the archaeological record.” No it won’t, if done sensitively and correctly it’ll improve the environment around one of the world’s greatest monuments (which is what we’re talking about) and it’ll no doubt add to our understanding of the archaeological record of the area.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
8th October 2013ce
12:11

Messages in this topic: