The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Western Isles Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
The Western Isles
Re: Gaelic: the language of Eden?
11 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I've always been fascinated by the widely held theory that Sanskrit may be the root of all modern European languge eg. Yoga in Sanskrit means 'union' and the English word 'yoke' is said to be a derivation of this.

http://mutiny.wordpress.com/20[...]anguages-says-prof-dean-brown/

Sir William Jones a British judge in India in 1786 was the first to conclude that PIE (proto Indo European ) was the common source for Sanskrit , Latin and Greek and probably Celtic, German and Persian too .

Have read all the posts under this thread - all very interesting so thanks. PIE is a new abbreviation to me so will keep it in mind. I realise this discussion has probably be had before somewhere on the forum but language, particularly ancient ones, is enduringly fascinating - and that's just looking at PIE. I wonder there are African, Far Eastern and Aboriginal languages that are even more ancient (just thinking aloud - will do more 'research').

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
13th April 2013ce
14:04

Messages in this topic: