The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Iarsiadar Standing Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Iarsiadar Standing Stone
Re: Iarsiadar now-standing stone
4 messages
Select a forum:
Yeah, I can tell you little, cos I was there!!!

If you look at page 70 of The Modern Antiquarian, you will see a pic of Margaret & Ron Curtis with a stone on a trolley. That is the Iarsiaar standing Stone. Otherwise known as Stone 8a it is on the Callanish side of the Bernara (spelling?) bridge.

It used to stand in the way of where the road is now and was chucked to one side by the road builders (int the 50's?)

Margaret & Ron planned to re(z)erect the stone and with the help of several parties of helpers managed to move it up the hill, dig a hole, position it, plop it in and then lever and heave it upright.

It was a manual operation, no machinery was used.

Margaret & Ron now have new theories about how stones were moved - some of them facinating and plausible.

I don't know the details of other people involved, but I am sure Joolio will give you a fuller account - I'm off to work.

Moey

Reply | with quote
moey
Posted by moey
10th October 2002ce
19:22

In reply to:

Iarsiadar now-standing stone (Kammer)

Messages in this topic: