The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ness of Brodgar Forum Start a topic | Search
Ness of Brodgar
Re: Orkneys Stone Age Temple
13 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
The high walls were for keeping the near endless, scouring winds out methinks. Even today houses still use the same system of having walls to keep the wind and cold at bay.
Even within the little sunken (out of the wind) dwellings at Skara Brae, the houses have little seperated cells, tiny doorways and walled off bed recesses to cut down on the drafts.
My Uncle Jimmy once owned an old fish smokehouse at Ayr Harbour (on the Newtoin-on-Ayr side of the River Ayr). There were three hearth areas for the small wood fires/ smoker ovens above and there were four doorways! There were a few broken tools lying around too. Was it a temple?

'Was it a temple? Who knows, constant theorising on religions gives little ground for the day to day living requirements of all communities, food preparation, clothes making, tool making etc also had to happen. I suppose evidence found, such as, was there a 'closing down' of the presumed religious building which acknowledged new use of bronze culminating in a great feast of hundreds of slaughtered cattle, it is all good dramatic 'evidence' but did it happen that way?
I have a problem with religious interpretation of sites, sometimes I think ideas are coloured by the prevailing mode of thinking but it is such a spectacular site, bounded on either side by water and surrounded by a high wall, and as you say the reason being to keep the wind out, and maybe defensive....

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
21st February 2013ce
11:43

In reply to:

Re: Orkneys Stone Age Temple (Howburn Digger)

1 reply:

Re: Orkneys Stone Age Temple (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: