The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avening Burial Chambers Forum Start a topic | Search
Avening Burial Chambers
Re: Thanks Baza and Carl
16 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's a good time to go, the vegetation is a bit fierce and tangled all around the hillside, but presumably less bad than in summer - take some secateurs, the site needs a tidy up!

You'll see a wooden shed affair below the track across the little stream, when you get level with this on the track, the chambers are actually slightly behind you. But as I mentioned in my other post, I found it easier to carry on a bit towards the buildings, but before you get to a pull-in on the right. Then you're not having to climb over barbed wire directly above the steep slope. From there, head down towards the stream and double back, keeping an eye out above you. The central chamber is the easiest to spot.

Good luck!

A bit daunting, I wouldn't be brave enough to do this on my own. Will mention to my good Cotswold Walking Friend (who is also map-reader-in-charge/transporter) that it time for another little adventure.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
29th January 2013ce
19:15

In reply to:

Re: Thanks Baza and Carl (thesweetcheat)

2 replies:

Messages in this topic: