The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Disgwylfa Fawr Forum Start a topic | Search
Disgwylfa Fawr
Re: Canoes? You what?
17 messages
Select a forum:
I recall reading (and I posted it up here somewhere...) of a similar find of dugout tree trunks used as coffins. Though these were found at a great depth rather than a great height! Here

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/110354.jpg

I note that the dug out tree trunks at Disgwylfa Fawr are not referred to as canoes in the report. As their lengths are only 2.4m and the other 1.08m, they don't really seem the right size to be canoes.

I recall as a wee boy being taken up to Loch Doon in Ayrshire by my dad and uncle. My uncle had trained at the seaplane gunnery school up there in WWII. On the shore was laid out a row of ancient wooden tree trunks. Some were just that, others were obviously dug-out canoes. They were part of a group of canoes (some 7 metres long) found when the loch level was lowered. A couple ended up in the National Museum. The rest were left there. I remember sitting in one with my wee brother and playing!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
26th November 2012ce
22:35

In reply to:

Canoes? You what? (GLADMAN)

1 reply:

Re: Canoes? You what? (GLADMAN)

Messages in this topic: