The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hillforts & Barrows
213 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
TE , I agree that those sites where there are no funereal deposits seemed to be as important as those that did and may well have had the same "power" .But my comment was in response to your , "A healthy respect for the dead, by superstition, is what it was. " which omitted the the non funerary aspect .

Tiompan,

True, my comment didn't take into account empty barrows. It seems like we both agree that they held a similar importance. Why that was is the intriguing question.

Gladman has stated that maybe banks and ditches around sites that weren't hillforts were doffing their caps to past traditions. It's a good theory, and maybe the importance of empty barrows was to keep with contemporary tradition in terms of stating territory.

It all seems to come down to respecting present and past traditions in the years prior to the Roman invasion. Respect for ancestors, and a fear of disrespecting them is what I feel was going on.

All the best,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
30th September 2012ce
22:20

In reply to:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: