The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hillforts & Barrows
213 messages
Select a forum:
Harryshill wrote:
Just a thought, based on the smaller forts that have little other room than the barrow.

Could the fort be to protect the barrow itself ?

I am aware that not all forts have barrows, but not all forts would seem to be for the same purpose.

Like Cissbury for example...it appears that it was more of a "mine" than a settlement.....so why the walls and moats? One explanation I've come across was to advertise its presence as the walls would've been white and visible for some distance.....maybe like a modern neon sign???? There are, at Cissbury a few possible barrows along with the mineshaft entrances...ploughed/dug/trampled out though...also one small ring with an entrance facing Chanctonbury....if you place a stick dead centre of the "doorway" in line with the centre of Chanctonbury, the stick perfectly bisects a raised copse in the valley below....probably a propos of nothing...but strange anyway.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
30th September 2012ce
09:14

In reply to:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (Harryshill)

1 reply:

Re: Hillforts & Barrows (Harryshill)

Messages in this topic: